From: bearingarms.com, by Jenn Jacques, on Jul 21, 2017
Concealed Handgun Permits Hit New Records, Drawing in More Women, Minorities
According to the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC), the number of concealed handgun permit holders has soared to an impressive 16.3 million law-abiding citizens!
But has that turned America into the “Wild West” as liberals feared?
It’s also interesting that despite the media’s claim the NRA is “racist and sexist”, some of the biggest increases in permits have been with women and African-Americans.
Among the findings in the report, John R. Lott highlights the following points:
- There are now over 16.3 million permit holders, a record 1.83 million increase in permits since last July.
- Nationwide, 6.5% adults have a concealed handgun permit. Outside of California and New York, 8% of adults have a permit.
- Permits for women and blacks are increasing much faster than they are for men and whites.
- There are also significant differences in not only the number of permits issued but also who gets them when politicians have discretion in granting them.
- Los Angeles County provides a vivid example of how women and Hispanics are given few permits when politicians decided who can defend themselves.
- Concealed carry permit holders also continue to be stringently law-abiding.
In fact, Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn might benefit from learning that in spite of being overwhelmingly adherent to the law, permit holders are actually becoming, even more, law abiding! The percentage of permit holders who are charged or convicted of a felony has dropped from 0.0123 in 2015 to just 0.0092 percent in 2016.
Be sure to watch this video (it’s only 2:02), it contains some really interesting factoids.
Lott also provided evidence in his report that even with credible death threats, citizens are being denied permits for their protection, which only serves to bolster the case for constitutional carry.
Carry on and carry often gunnies!
The following is taken from Lott’s report:
“Even given the low conviction rate for police, concealed carry permit holders are even more law-abiding than police. Between October 1, 1987 and June 30, 2017, Florida revoked 11,189 concealed handgun permits for misdemeanors or felonies. This is an annual revocation rate of 10.4 permits per 100,000. In Texas in 2016 (the last year for which data is available), 148 permit holders were convicted of a felony or misdemeanor – a conviction rate of 12.3 per 100,000. Combining Florida and Texas data, we find that permit holders are convicted of misdemeanors and felonies at less than a sixth of the rate for police officers.”
And yet, the gun control cabal continues to frighten the public with depictions of Wild West-style gunfights and blood running in the streets whenever concealed carry is in the news. I urge you to read Lott’s report. It’s hot off the press (dated Jul 20, 2017) and chock full of information supportive of concealed carry.